You wouldn’t be a coffee lover if you do not already know its benefits. Coffee will always be a part of a Singaporean’s lifestyle. Without it, life seems empty and insufficient. You will love coffee more now that science is actually confirming that coffee is good for the heart.
Researchers from the York University tracked their 3,721 respondents who were heart attack survivors in United Kingdom. They found out that those who drank 1 or 2 cups of coffee every day were less likely to die from heart damage by 20% compared to those who did not drink coffee at all.
Aside from decreasing the risk of dying from heart damage, coffee is also your largest source of antioxidants (actually outranking vegetables and fruits). Knowing that coffee is already healthy, the least that you can do is to make it healthier. Here are some tips:
- No coffee after two: For busy people, coffee serves as their best friend because it can give a jolt of energy they need especially when they feel sluggish which is in the afternoon. Make it habit to avoid coffee after two because it can interfere with your sleep. If you cannot help it, choose a decaf or the best choice is tea since it contains less caffeine.
- Do not add sugar: There are people who seem not contented with their coffee that they opt for more sugar or sweeteners. That is the biggest mistake you will make in your life. Adding more sugar can lead to many serious diseases from obesity to diabetes.
- Go organic: Coffee beans are heavily sprayed with chemicals to ensure proper growth. You do not need these chemicals in your body because they contain many toxins. To be sure, you should look for organic coffees. Organic coffees do not include chemicals and you are sure that you get nothing but nutrients.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon: To make it more healthier, you should add nothing but cinnamon. Cinnamon is an herb that is known to lower blood glucose as well as triglycerides and cholesterol. Adding a dash of cinnamon won’t change the taste of the coffee. In fact, it can enhance its taste because cinnamon is surprisingly good.
- Try putting cocoa: Instead of putting artificial creamers or flavor to your coffee, why not put organic unsweetened cocoa? This will surely give more flavor and pleasure plus it is healthy. According to some studies, cocoas are filled with antioxidants.
- Always use filter: Brewed coffee has this diterpenes – a substance known to increase cholesterol levels. This substance however is easy to eliminate. You only need to use filters.