Hollywood movies are extremely popular here in Singapore. In fact, many Singaporeans are fond of blockbuster hits to the point of patronizing actors. Speaking of actors, there are many Hollywood actors with different styles and genres – some are memorable or profitable and some are not.
If you are a Hollywood fan, you should know 2015’s five most overpaid actors. These actors are immensely popular but it did not make a difference because their movies did not make much thereby making it a flop instead of a hit.
Forbes has rounded the five most overpaid actors in Hollywood and here’s the list:
- Johnny Depp: Critics say that there is no surprise Johnny Depp topped the list especially with his recent films from Transcendence to Mordecai and Black Mass. Depp’s only successful film for the year is Into the Woods. According to reports, Johnny Depp’s return on investment is only $1.20 for every $1 paid. Producers are hoping that the actor will be back on track upon the screening of Through the Looking Glass.
- Denzel Washington: Without a doubt Denzel is one of the finest winning two Academy Awards but profits did not follow this year. His Flight did well despite the small budget but the following movies like The Equalizer and 2 Guns were not hits. Denzel’s return of investment is only $6.50 for every $1 paid.
- Will Ferrell: Will Ferrell is one of the top comedians in the movie industry and he is expected to bring in more money but for his films this year like The Campaign, Anchorman 2 and Get Hard, the earnings are pretty modest. His return on investment is only $6.80 for every $1 paid.
- Liam Neeson: Liam Neeson is popular because of his “me against the world” action movies. You would assume that he is paid a lot of money – which is true. Taken 3 did well but the following movies like Run All Night and A Walk Among the Tombstones did not do well. His return of investment is only $7.20 for every $1 paid.
- Will Smith: Will Smith’s MiB 3 is actually a success if not domestically. The truth is, MiB3 is the third highest grossing movie worldwide and that is good for him but unfortunately it was not sustained following the modest Focus and the After Earth.
The list will make you wonder because despite their popularity, the returns on investment were not quite as expected. However you see their movies (either a flop or not), the fact remains that they still persist and continue to thrive.